Tuesday, January 24, 2017

You weren't there

"I needed you, and you weren't there."

"Where were you, when I needed you?"

"I just want you to be happy."

"What about all those times you could've made me happy, and you didn't?"

"I trusted you, and you betrayed me."

"I meant everything I ever said to you."

"That's a lie."

Things we've all heard, or said, at various points in our lives before.

Moments of heightened awareness.

Of the fragility, the vulnerability, of the moment.

Of the precarious position you've placed yourself in.

You can feel it happening. The inevitability of it.

The heartsickness coming on, setting in. The numbness that follows.

The bubble of the moment bursts, and gives way to reality.

Whether right before you, or across the oceans and the stars, there's no way it doesn't touch you and leave you with a scar.