Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fighter: A Poem

Another one I wrote, at home this time. :)

Fighter

Beaten down and broken
About to come undone
Abandoned by my brethren
I lie among the fallen
And see the lights of heaven.

My strength will never falter
My resolve will never waver
My will shall be my armour
For I am a fighter, ready as ever
In the face of the enemy, never will I quiver.

As I begin to fade
I am not afraid
Then I ask myself
What do I have to live for?
So much, I cannot ignore.

Hope and faith
They live in me like wraiths
They keep me going when all is lost
Yet never let go when I know I should
They are my greatest allies in whatever I do
But at the same time, my greatest enemies, too.

"Let go, surrender," says one
"Keep holding on," the other whispers
"You are spent, gone and done
Death, you cannot outrun,"
Hisses one.

"But," says the other
"You are a fighter
You cannot give up
Finish this fight
It is your birthright
Rise, unflinching warrior
The battle lies yonder."

I turn away, and run from the lights
To burning cities, unfinished fights
The bitter foe, a blight I must smite
For I am a fighter, fearless as a knight
A battle ignites, with the enemy in my sights
.


This one perhaps best exemplifies what I strive to be: a fighter in everything I do. Indeed, hope and faith are my greatest allies, but also my greatest enemies at the same time, too. A blessing and a curse, but one that is imperative for survival in this harsh world.