Wednesday, June 23, 2010

From the outside looking in

They say, no-one knows you better than you yourself. But sometimes, I think other people know me better than I know myself. Strange, isn't it? It hardly seems right that someone else knows things about you that you don't even realise about yourself. People tell me things about myself I don't even realise until then. They analyse my opinions and actions and point out flaws which I never would have seen.

Perhaps it's the same for all of us. We need other people to judge, critique and analyse us, like a scientist keenly examining a specimen under a microscope. There is no more impartial opinion than that of another. Sure, we may know ourselves and how we think, but it is those from the outside looking in that know everything; the good, the bad and the ugly. Everything we would never see in ourselves, as much as we search and analyse. In our minds, there's always that other viewpoint that counteracts whatever we may find negative about ourselves, turning it into something positive, when in the eyes of another, it isn't so. Like the angel and the devil playing with our conscience, duelling in a psychological battle that's bound to end badly. The mind plays tricks on us to think that we are right, perfect and justified in everything we think and do, when really, we aren't.

Perhaps the true selves of each and every one of us remains a perpetual enigma to our own selves. We can never judge ourselves, for we are always biased, no matter how impartial we may try to be. We are either too lenient, or too harsh on ourselves. I guess the best way would be to have an outsider look in, and tell us everything they see: the good, the bad and the ugly.